It is the intention of Taproot Community Kitchen to:
- Promote local economic opportunity and entrepreneurship…create jobs
- Encourage local agriculture
- Improve island food resiliency
- Provide resources and education in food safety and production
- Offer small business support
Statement of Purpose
Taproot Kitchen endeavors to provide nourishment, livelihood, and food security to Lopez and the larger to San Juan County community by providing:
- Facilities for commercial food processing, in particular for adding value to locally grown fruits, vegetables, and other agricultural products.
- A shared infrastructure which permits small entrepreneurs to develop ideas at a minimal cost, and encourages cooperation, creativity, and collaboration between food producers.
- A certified commercial kitchen to intermittent users such as Farmer’s Market vendors, food truck vendors, and caterers.
- Access to commercial equipment for individuals, families, and nonprofits to efficiently process foods for their own use.
- Education on safe food handling and processing practices, facilitating small business start-ups with resources and information.