Big news of Autumn 2018:
San Juan County officials approved the permits! Hal Seifert (property owner and Taproot project manager) has the plumber lined up to install the plumbing the 3rd week of September. Then comes Sparky The Electrician. We will need volunteers to help with the construction phase. Kudos to the volunteers of the forward looking Transitions Group who helped with the deconstruction phase back in April/May.
We’ll need volunteer labor soon. See list below.
If you want to pitch in and help please email us at <email@example.com>. Read on for more details. This is going to be fun!!
Other news: We have a Mailchimp account so we’ll be able to send out updates. Subscribe if you’d like to get updates. There should be a pop up box to subscribe on this page.
The Taproot Community Kitchen on Dill Road has been serving two WSDA producers, Chicaoji Sauce and Kraut Pleasers, and has also hosted a number of non-commercial endeavors like a kim chee workshop and the drying of hundreds of pounds of Lopez fruit. The day to day operations of the kitchen are entirely covered by the users, and the more users we have, the lower the costs and the more improvements we can make.
Existing facilities work fine for value added products that obtain their processing authority from the WSDA (Washington State Dept of Agriculture). Direct-to-Consumer vendors (Farmers Market, catering, food trucks, etc.) need a few changes to meet San Juan County Health Dept regulations.
Current project: Plumbing and lighting upgrade
- install plumbing improvements
- install additional prep sink sinks
- improve lighting
- upgrade ventilation fan
- install a brand new 80 gallon hot water heater. (Thanks to the Lopez Island Thrift Shop for donating this specific item.)
- refinish the floor
- install vinyl wall panels
- finish up drywall and painting
Can you help?
- back fill (shovel work)
- minor construction
- install sheetrock, mud and tape (We are talking about 10 sheets at most)
- paint the place
- supply miscellaneous labor
We restart in the third week of September. Work will be ongoing. We’ll let you know by email so get on our list! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We need volunteer labor. If you want to help, email us at <email@example.com>. We will schedule you in.
- We also need money as this project will pretty much deplete our cash reserves. Donate securely on our website via PayPal: https://lopeztaproot.org/support/ or send a check to PO Box 551, Lopez Island, WA, 98261
- Please forward this message to anyone you think might like to support local food production on Lopez Island.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org…. or talk to Jean at the Vortex Cafe after 3:00 PM Wednesday – Saturday.